Posted by & filed under Cranes & Rigging Blog, Transportation.

Getting permits to over dimensional or heavy haul transportation permits can be a time-consuming process, which is why it’s a good idea to hire a company such as H. Brown to take care of such tasks for you.

In order for you to have a better understanding of what’s involved, in this post we cover what you need to know about securing the necessary permits.

USDOT Number

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), companies that operate commercial vehicles hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number.

The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if your vehicle has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater.

Trip and Fuel Permits

If your GVW is greater than 26,000 pounds, you will also most likely need trip and fuel permits, which take the place of applying for IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) certificate and IRP (International Registration Plan) registration.

You will need permits for the states you will be traveling through, along with the routes you plan to take.  (The site, Wide Load Shipping, has a list of each state’s regulations for over-sized or over weight loads that includes permit requirements.) Each state levies its own fees, so the costs will vary based on the destination and routes.

Among other things, the information needed to purchase permits includes load information such as the description of the load and its dimensions, truck/tractor information, trailer information, origin and destination address, and requested route.


Insurance is another factor that will need to be taken care of before ordering permits.

Wide Load Shipping states that heavy haul trucking companies are “mandated by the federal government to have a minimum of $100,000 worth of cargo insurance on their insurance policies.”

It’s wise to ask the contract carrier how much cargo insurance they have and how much your equipment will need to be insured for in the event of an accident.


As you can see, a lot goes into securing transportation permits. Because we manage those tasks for you when you contract with H. Brown, not only do we take that “load” off your mind, we have the equipment needed to handle virtually any super heavy or over dimensional load, whether it is a short onsite haul or an interstate transport. Contact us today to learn more or request a quote.

Comments are closed.